Monday, January 01, 2007

a Place On Earth

In heaven the beer is Belgian. The bread and cheese are French and the beaches are Brazilian. The waves are from Australia and the landscape from New Zealand. All the prices are Cambodian.

In heaven the soup is Vietnamese but the goulash is Hungarian. The city squares are Czech and the meadows are Irish. The bars are Irish too, but you don’t need to go to heaven to find an Irish bar.

In heaven the wine is Italian and the mountains are Nepalese. Dinner is Indian and lunch is Thai. Breakfast is Spanish and served just before going to bed. Whatever the meal, the steak is from Argentina.

The nights are short in heaven because the days are Swedish and it’s always July. The trains are German and always on time. The drug laws are Dutch.

In heaven the sun is Greek and the rivers Lao. The golf courses are Scottish. The composers are Austrian and the school children are Korean; I didn’t spend long enough in either country to nominate anyone else.

6 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brook,

I just read your Budget Travel article ("Traveling Around the World...") and it hit home.

I'm writing to you from New Zealand, where I've been living in a house with 15 strangers-turned-friends from all over the globe. I recently left a great job at a company I helped build, a great apartment in San Francisco, and all my friends and family to travel around the world by myself.

I've been fortunate enough to live and travel abroad before, so I know the drill. But it's a thrill every time I set off on a new adventure (even though I always have that moment, like you had, when I realize that I'm suddenly very alone and the world is very big).

Anyway, just wanted to thank you for your article. It was cool to come across it, especially on the second day of my trip.

Jen (jenoneal @ gmail.com)

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brook,

Just watched your DVD and found it totally inspiring. After reading 4 Hour Work Week and watching A Map For Saturday I think a big lifestyle change is on the way.

I have even begun an experiment with my life which I am blogging about. I call it the Perfect Life Project.

Well done on a great movie.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brook,
We watched your DVD and found it fantastic. We (my husband & I) are leaving for our RTW trip in about 1 1/2 months and were curious what bag you used that you put your backpack in whenever you were flying. I think we'd like to get something like it. Please email me at jrbasset@juno.com and give us the scoop!
Great job and congrats on the success of your documentary.
Cheers
Rhonda

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Any chance you can write about traveling with all your gear? What type/size pack you took, safety precautions, (pacsafe?) internet access, etc. I know this might be boring to some but I'd be interested in hearing about some of the technical details of your trip.

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi brook...
i m writing to you for sicily, my name's chiara and i have just seen the documentary on nathional geographic channel. i want to ask you a question---i m diabetic i do the I am dibetic, I make 5 punctures a day and I would like to know from you if l marvelous experience that you have lived, I could do it or if is possible to organize something..i don't know..if you want to write me..my mail. it is: arnonechiar@yahoo.it

thanks brook

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Fiona said...

A great piece! The perfect World!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home